Friday, September 14, 2007

Did Ya'll Know There Was a Hurricane?

My Mom got on chat (instant messaging) with me yesterday and was complaining that she was tired. I am like "why are you tired Mom?" and she said "well I did not get much sleep with the Hurricane coming through here and all."

WHAT HURRICANE? Apparently, there was a tropical storm sitting in the Gulf, just offshore of Houston and it became a Hurricane and the eye went right over my parents town! The national weather service did not even call a Hurricane Warning, it happened so fast! Most of the town lost power (but not my parents) and they had some wind damage to the area. My parent's patio cover lifted up and got folded back onto itself, so they are waiting to hear from the insurance people.

Guess my brother is busy again, he is the Fire Chief and has to go around rescuing people and making sure the places are safe. Fortunately, it was just material damage in their main area and no one died. Although in a town nearby they did have a man killed when part of his house collapsed. That area was really hard hit during Katrina two years ago, it is sad that they got hit again.

It is funny, all the years we lived there, I can't remember evacuating (we came close once or twice) and just vaguely remember some wind or water damage once every 10 or 15 years and now twice in two years time, they have had a direct hit! May be time to start thinking about moving farther inland.

I guess I need to check out the Hurricane tracking website more often huh!!!! Oh What a Bad Daughter I am!!!! Just glad they are all safe and sound!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I knew there was a tropical storm brewing (since we live where it was supposed to come ashore), but didn't know it turned into a hurricane until the next morning. Since Caleb was born during Hurricane Rita, we're praying that no more bad weather hits this area in the next couple of weeks!!! So glad your parents are safe!